Thursday, June 19, 2008




So, occasionally at one of my fun events (the Megumi Japanese Preschool Bazaar this time around) I come across an exceptional product or person. At this particular event, I was lucky enough to come across a combination of the two with Maiden America. Tristan Benz is not only the mastermind behind the patent pending non-slip barrette, but a dedicated philanthropist and mother. I have to admit it was very entertaining watching her take the tiniest piece of her own hair (really, really tiny!), place one of her very pretty barrettes on it and ask people to try to pull the barrette out of her hair. People who pulled, tugged, and twisted to no avail were completely amazed, and then bought half a dozen sets. Not only was I impressed at the dedication that this mother/entrepreneur had, but I was impressed at how happy and excited her customers were to have finally found a barrette that would actually stay in their daughters/nieces/granddaughters/neighbors hair.

Admittedly, I have a boy so whenever his hair bugs me I shave it all off (!) but darn it - if I had a girl, I would have every cute as a button variation of the Maiden America barrettes.

Mostly, I just love knowing that every single time someone supports Maiden America they are doing something for the 'greater good.' Check out Tristan's 'About Us' page if you think I am full of it!

Happy accessorizing!

Shelly

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Shelly - I am VAH-KLEMPT!!! What a beautiful, thoughtful surprise of a blog - I thought you were going to post our photos from that day but you went and did THIS!!! I am very touched. I'm going to link through to you from my home page and my press links, as well as my own blog! This is a true example of your OWN beauty - I'm so glad I met you and I look forward to seeing you again. Warmest Regards, Tristan

Anonymous said...

Hey - I was thinking about you today and thought I'd check in and see how you are doing. I am loving blogging so much - who knew?! I'm thinking of going your route - putting it on my actual website now (instead of on blogger). Of course, thinking of it and doing it are two different things - time is my faithful opponent when it comes to the technical stuff...how we find time for all of the creative, so easily and yet it's impossible to find time to learn html?! ;-) I hope your skin care line is doing beautifully! Oh - and fyi, if you aren't yet part of a group called SOSTANE (http://www.sostane.org) you should hook up with them, esp. given the 'green' nature of your new line - they're all about women who work towar green products and sustainability!

Okay - that's it - just wanted you to know you floated into my consciousness tonight and I hope all is well with you and yours.

Tristan