Sunday, November 16, 2008





The last few weeks have been so crazy, so stressful, and I have hardly had a minute to think! (Seriously). The last year, I have been working like a maniac on creating products for Plein de Vie. What I learned from all of that hard work, is that I am happiest and the least stressed when I am being creative. Whether it is designing a new gift set for Spoiled Rotten Baby or coming up with a new formula for a Plein de Vie product, it helps me be a better mom, partner, and person in general.

So, in the midst of current chaos, I decided it was time to do something I had never done before - make soap! Rick (my 'better' half)and I geared up in our old long sleeved tees, latex gloves, and oh-so-cute eye protection to make what we hoped would be some pretty decent soap.

We added ingredients like Shea Butter, Coconut Oil, and Babasu Oil. I tried to add some essential oil so it smelled pretty (didn't add enough though!) and a sprinkling of organic cocoa butter to make it at least look pretty.

When all was said and done, we ended up with a very neat looking block of soap, which then ended up becoming 4 smaller pieces of neat looking soap after I attacked it with my butcher knife. We still have a few weeks to wait until it's ready to use, so cross your fingers that it actually turned out ;-)

It can be hard to remember the things that bring us a little relief when life gets crazy. I hope that the next time life seems to spinning out of control, you take a deep breath and go to that stress-free place in your life. Even if it turns out to be making a block of soap that smells like nothing.

Shelly

2 comments:

ash said...

thats awesome good for you for starting your own business!

does your product use tree nuts?
my nephew is allegric and we are always looking for something nut free.
you would be amazed at home many products have nuts in them.

Shelly Holbrook said...

Hi Ash,

Thank you for the comment/support! None of our products contain nuts or nut oils. I have a girlfriend who has children with nut allergies. She told me from day one how hard it was for her to find nut-free products, so it is now a priority to be nut-free.

Shelly